The Bible: We believe:
- That the Bible is God’s revelation to man given by the Holy Spirit through prophets and apostles. 2Tim.3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:21, Luke 24:27
- That the Bible is both inspired and without error. 2 Tim. 3:16-17, John 10:35b, Luke 24:27
- That the Bible’s main purpose is to lead us to Jesus Christ through whom we are saved. John 20:30-31, Luke 24:27
God: We believe:
- That there is only one God, not many. Deut. 6:4, 1 Cor. 8:4
- That within the one true God there are three distinct but equal persons – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, which together is called the “Holy Trinity” Mt. 3:16-17, 28:19, John 15:26
- That God created the universe as well as man and angels. Gen. 1:1-2:3, Ps. 33:6,9, Heb.11:3, Col.1:16
- That in the beginning God created man in His image, that is, possessing perfect love and harmony toward God and man. Gen. 1:27,31
Sin: We believe:
- That sin entered the world when the devil, a fallen angel, deceived man. Gen. 3:1-14, Rom. 6:23
- That sin is the breaking of God’s Law, the 10 Commandments, 1 John 3:4
- That sin has corrupted man and brought death to the world. Ps. 14:3, Rom. 5:12
- That man is “dead in His sins” and cannot save himself by anything he does. Eph. 2:1, Rom. 3:20.
- That sin is passed on from generation to generation through birth. Psalm 51:5, John 3:6
Salvation and Grace: We believe:
- That in spite of man’s sin, God still loves the world. John 3:16
- That to save man, God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity, into the world in human flesh and blood. Luke 2:1-20, John 1:14.
- That Jesus saved us by keep God’s Law for us, by dying for our sins and rising again. Gal. 4:4, Rom. 5:19, 2 Cor. 5:15, 2 Cor. 5:19, 1 Tim. 1:15, 1 John 2:2, 1 Peter 2:24, Matt. 28:1-9
- That God forgave the world through the life, death, and ressurrection of Jesus. 2 Cor. 5:19, 1 John 1:7.
Faith: We believe:
- That only through faith in Jesus Christ are we saved and not by our own good works. Eph. 2:8-9, John 14:6, Rom. 3:20, 28.
- That faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit who works through God’s Word. Rom. 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23.
- That the Holy Spirit also works through Baptism and the Lord’s Supper to forgive sins, instill and strengthen faith, and make us God’s children. John 3:5-6, Acts 2:38-39, Acts 22:16, Mark 16:16, Titus 3:5, 1 Peter 3:20-21, Mt. 26:27-28, 1 Cor. 10:16, 1 Cor. 11:23-24, 27.
Church and Ministry: We believe:
- That the Holy Spirit creates and sustains the Christian Church through the “means of grace,” that is, God Word and Sacraments. John 14:26, 1 Peter 2:5, Isaiah 55:10-11, 1 Peter 1:23, Acts 2:42.
- That God calls Christians into congregations where they receive Word and Sacrament ministry administered by called and ordained pastors. 1 Cor. 1:2, Gal. 1:1-2, Eph.1:1, Acts 20:28, Titus 1:5
- That Jesus will return again soon to judge all mankind and to take to all believers to be with Him in His eternal kingdom. John 3:16, Mt. 24:27, Mt. 25:31-32, Rev. 1:7, Acts 1:11, Mark 13:32, Acts 17:31.
MEMBERSHIP AT EMMANUEL:
If you are a member in good standing of a fellow congregation in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, you can apply for a transfer of membership by speaking with the Pastor. If you are seeking membership for the first time in our church body, membership classes are offered that give a thorough explanation of the Christian faith. We welcome all to join us for these informative classes!